THE LARGE BREED DOG RESCUE FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LARGE BREED DOG RESCUE FORUM

LBDR web siteHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Yogi - Mastiff

Go down 
+19
Sonanimalcrazy
Chester's mate
Cooper2007
EmmaLouise
Olivia
Mellonz
Lisa
Mike D
amanda
kellys mum
clive
mad dog lady
julie
Bill
sharon
Romeo
soraya
Dawny
vexy
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Olivia
LBDR Member
LBDR Member

Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm

EmmaLouise wrote:
How is Yogi doing now? Is he any closer to going home to his Mummy Olivia?!!!

big smile hearts

Awwwwwwwww.... thanks 'Mummy Olivia', I like that!! yes

Annoyingly, though not at the time, Ross and I arranged a weekend with friends who are about to have their first baby for the weekend of the 18th, so mastiff Bear is going to have to wait a little longer before we can bring him home. Perhaps not a bad thing as we have to order a load of bits and pieces for him online...

One of which is a crate. About that...I found one online 'canineconcepts'. It's 118 x 76 x 88cm. It says on the website that this suits a St Bernard and also on another website that the crate should be just large enough for Yogi to turn around in and stand in. Will this do? think

We also found a fabulous bed, though this is smaller than the crate...I guess I just put blankets in the crate then? And ontop as Jacs said to make a den.

thinking so much to sort out before he arrives. I've even made a schedule which I have printed out and stuck on the fridge to get him into a routine. There are post it notes everywhere too, I hoovered about 3 up today by mistake. yes Silly Mummy Olivia laughing

We'll take it as it comes, but structure the days and get him settled in that way. Plus, I could do with some exercise....I've planned two 2 hour walks per day, one in the morning before it gets hot, and one in the evening when it's cooling down. There will also be plenty of toilet breaks too mind. Oh, and I bought a mat thingy for him to sit on when he wants to go out...

Does anyone here clicker train? And if so then how's that going? I've never done it before though friends of ours have had excellent results using this method...

Right, I shall catch up on the other threads, but watch this space - mastiff will be coming home soon!! love1
Back to top Go down
soraya
LBDR True friend
LBDR True friend
soraya

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 2:46 am

Quote :
It's 118 x 76 x 88cm

What's that in English?

I like clicker training, very simple but clear for the dog.
Back to top Go down
Chester's mate
LBDR Member
LBDR Member
Chester's mate

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 4:15 am

In "English" it's 3'10" x 2'6" x 2'11" - which seems like a bit of a tight fit, especially the length.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36731779@N03/
Olivia
LBDR Member
LBDR Member

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 4:18 am

It does doesn't it? thinking

Jacs has given me a better website which is where she got her crates from. Failing that, how about a pop up tent? Or is that just daft? think
Back to top Go down
Olivia
LBDR Member
LBDR Member

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 4:19 am

Chester's mate wrote:
In "English" it's 3'10" x 2'6" x 2'11" - which seems like a bit of a tight fit, especially the length.

Do you use crates? and if so, then where did you manage to find one big enough? thinking
Back to top Go down
Olivia
LBDR Member
LBDR Member

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 4:21 am

We're going to see mastiff this afternoon so we can measure up then yes and find somethign suitable. So hard to remember how big he is if that makes sense?
Back to top Go down
Chester's mate
LBDR Member
LBDR Member
Chester's mate

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 4:26 am

No we don't use crates, but we've never had any problems with destructive behaviour when we're not there; which is the only reason I can think of for crating a dog. All we've ever had is the odd shoe a bit chewed. If they're going to chew then get them to chew the right things. Find a friendly butcher and get Yogi interested in chewing big ol' marrowbones and he might leave your furniture/blankets/cushions alone.
Why did you want a crate?
Back to top Go down
Olivia
LBDR Member
LBDR Member

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 4:40 am

Chester's mate wrote:
No we don't use crates, but we've never had any problems with destructive behaviour when we're not there; which is the only reason I can think of for crating a dog. All we've ever had is the odd shoe a bit chewed. If they're going to chew then get them to chew the right things. Find a friendly butcher and get Yogi interested in chewing big ol' marrowbones and he might leave your furniture/blankets/cushions alone.

I think most people on here who use crates do so because some dogs love them? Jacs has crates and puts blankets over them to create a 'den'. A friends dog likes to sit under the table, if she had a crate it may instead choose to go there...

If people visit who are wary of dogs then he can go in there for a bit, or if I'm hoovering and he doesn't like it, I'd put him in there and hoover elsewhere to get him used to the sound and then one day be able to hoover with him in the room...

Great training tool for puppies I believe and also if the dog wants to get away from the busy household...

Other reasons people? think I don't know if anyone using crates on here does so for a specific problem, I think they do so because the dogs seem to prefer it?

Most dogs I know of love their crates yes
Back to top Go down
Chester's mate
LBDR Member
LBDR Member
Chester's mate

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 4:48 am

My two would hate it. The only times Chester leaves the couch are for walks and sunbathing, and Tululah needs to be able to shuffle around the floor chewing her big cow bones. They would think they're in trouble if we tried to put them in a crate, plus we haven't got room for crates.
Back to top Go down
EmmaLouise
LBDR Friend
LBDR Friend
EmmaLouise

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 6:47 am

Quote :
Other reasons people? I don't know if anyone using crates on here does so for a specific problem, I think they do so because the dogs seem to prefer it?

Well Olivia,

My mum bought Tinny at 8weeks old and as she is only a mini snhauzer she also bought a crate. (Bodie weights around 35KG) so we were worried that she may end up squashed! Mum tried to take the crate away and give her a nice comfy bed instead... that however didn't work! She slept in with Bodie instead and looked at her 'new' bed in disbelief! Sure enough, mum put the crate back and she loves it! Sometimes I think it reminds her of being a pup and also I think that it is her escape from the madness when all 8 pups are around!!

Crate

My sister Charlie, had a Leo and she would crate him on occassion, I will try to find out the dimensions of his old crate as he was bigger than Yogi.
Back to top Go down
clive
Committee member
Committee member
clive

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 7:26 am

We have just purchased an XXL crate for Lola. it's size is 125cmx74cmx83cm in old money it is 49"x29"x32.5hieght. Yogi should fit in this one. We got ours off of ebay. Brand new for 44.99 with free p&p the sellers name is fun-garden. We didn't have to wait long for it to be delivered. Lola and Elsa get in it together and I there is loads of room for a large dog to get in there as well. I think it will be a good idea for Yogi to have one. Either untill he is settled and used to everyone also a safe place when feeling unsafe or for good. It is up to you how you want it. You will need somewhere safe to put him when you go out. Until you can trust him out of it.

I hope this helps you
Angie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.largebreeddogrescue.com/
soraya
LBDR True friend
LBDR True friend
soraya

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 9:43 am

Chester's mate wrote:

I agree with you in principle if you're saying a crated dog is locked in all the time. But our crates are permanently open! The dogs choose to go in them, and they love them. I have tried to get rid of them, 2 x 48" crates in my kitchen takes up a fair space, but I have always had to get them out again. The dogs also lie on the sofas and have several big beds around the house, but it's always the crates they choose. If I had room then I'd get another for Charlie, but he pinches Monty's or Rosie's when he's in the mood! Sometimes they all pile in one crate together. Doli has inherited Mr Pickwick's crate....but she prefers to pile in with the big guys.

Other good reasons for crates:

Post operative enforced rest.

Young dogs with joint problems who must rest.

Old and senile doggies who can't tell the difference between night and day!

Useful in multi-dog households if there is food aggression.

For visitors who are frightened of dogs (put the visitors in there!)

For a safe den for dogs who are frightened of thunder or fireworks.

For toilet training pups.(in conjunction with plenty of praise and positive methods)

People who have destructive dogs, who have to go to work, but are prepared to work through their dogs issues.

Old and incontinent dogs.

NEVER use a crate as punishment!

Dogs love dens, crates, undeneath tables whatever. It's their instincts coming out, as a wild dog will chose a warm, dry and easily protected cave etc.
Back to top Go down
soraya
LBDR True friend
LBDR True friend
soraya

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 9:44 am

Oooh, thought of another good use: they convert to great steam tents for dogs with chest infections.
Back to top Go down
clive
Committee member
Committee member
clive

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 9:50 am

We call Lola create her boudour laughing (I think that's how you spell it) It is only closed whenm Lola is in it if we are going to bed or if we are going out other than that it is open all the time. then Els and Lola will wander in and out at thier leisure. We don't use is as punishment.
Back to top Go down
soraya
LBDR True friend
LBDR True friend
soraya

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 10:01 am

clive wrote:
We call Lola create her boudour laughing (I think that's how you spell it) It is only closed whenm Lola is in it if we are going to bed or if we are going out other than that it is open all the time. then Els and Lola will wander in and out at thier leisure. We don't use is as punishment.

I think it suits Miss Lola to have a boudoir!

I used to think crates were dreadful things! Used by people who couldn't be bothered to train their dogs! How naive was I? I am a convert. Used sensibly they keep dogs safe, houses safe, people safe, and allow dogs and owners to relax.
Back to top Go down
Olivia
LBDR Member
LBDR Member

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 12:35 pm

Exactly!! big smile My Mum used to have one for Joss, it was very rarely shut and he would just go in and out as he pleased. Whenever we had guests he would end up in there (of his own free will) and when they got him a bed he wouldn't use it until they put it in the crate.

He also had a big basket in the kitchen just to hang out in when he wanted to feel more a part of the family etc.

He loved his crate and would use it purely for relaxation.

Hence getting a crate for Yog's, who is also, let us not forget, in a kennel at the moment. This reinforces my thought that he would love the crate as it may give him a sense of security.

yes

I don't currently know of anyone who uses their crate for a specific problem. Great to keep them in whilst hoovering (if they don't like the sound, which we learnt today that Yogi does not). no
Back to top Go down
Olivia
LBDR Member
LBDR Member

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 12:49 pm

love1 we got back not long ago. Had a fabulous time with Yog's!! (of course) and guess what?!

He looks absolutely fantastic . I mean really, really good. He's gained a load of weight, muscled up and his coat was beautiful! thumbs clap thumb up

We were both quite taken aback even! surprised and it is all we talked about on the way home.

For anyone who has yet to see this marvelous tranformation and is free on Saturday, there is a walk (for all I think?) and it really is worth seeing!!

big smile

Thank you Sharon, Gilly and Dawn. hug
Back to top Go down
Olivia
LBDR Member
LBDR Member

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 12:57 pm

There some absolutely gorgeous photos of Sharons lot in the members pictures section titled 'Dogs hate crates' hearts
Back to top Go down
Dawny
LBDR True friend
LBDR True friend
Dawny

Job/hobbies : dog walking swimming and horse riding

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 1:26 pm

was good to see you today hun and Yogi was so happy to see you . I think your going to have to remember that Yogi will be going into a new home were he needs that place to go chill if need be i think your doing the right thing by getting him a crate big smile
Back to top Go down
vexy
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
vexy

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Olivia wrote:
For anyone who has yet to see this marvelous tranformation and is free on Saturday, there is a walk (for all I think?) and it really is worth seeing!!

The walk is just a group walk for the rescue dogs, don't think Sharon wants her place invaded by loads of people & dogs (be a bit of a squish!) Shocked there is (I believe) a walk on Sunday in Mote park for all to go to thumb up
Back to top Go down
Dawny
LBDR True friend
LBDR True friend
Dawny

Job/hobbies : dog walking swimming and horse riding

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Mine use there crates as beds btw Sol is snoring away next to me right now in his and scooby is asleep in the spare one in hallway
Back to top Go down
vexy
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
vexy

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Well our Yogi bear has gone off to start his new life with Olivia & Ross woohoo

Good luck sweetheart love1
Back to top Go down
Cooper2007
Committee member
Committee member
Cooper2007

Job/hobbies : Job: I do things on computers, Hobbies: Dogs & XBox

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 4:50 am

Fantastic news for Yogi, Olivia and Ross... at last he's gone to his forever home. woohoo woohoo woohoo
Back to top Go down
Mellonz
LBDR Friend
LBDR Friend
Mellonz

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2010 12:38 am

Quote :

I agree with you in principle if you're saying a crated dog is locked in all the time. But our crates are permanently open! The dogs choose to go in them, and they love them. I have tried to get rid of them, 2 x 48" crates in my kitchen takes up a fair space, but I have always had to get them out again. The dogs also lie on the sofas and have several big beds around the house, but it's always the crates they choose. If I had room then I'd get another for Charlie, but he pinches Monty's or Rosie's when he's in the mood! Sometimes they all pile in one crate together. Doli has inherited Mr Pickwick's crate....but she prefers to pile in with the big guys.

Other good reasons for crates:

Post operative enforced rest.

Young dogs with joint problems who must rest.

Old and senile doggies who can't tell the difference between night and day!

Useful in multi-dog households if there is food aggression.

For visitors who are frightened of dogs (put the visitors in there!)

For a safe den for dogs who are frightened of thunder or fireworks.

For toilet training pups.(in conjunction with plenty of praise and positive methods)

People who have destructive dogs, who have to go to work, but are prepared to work through their dogs issues.

Old and incontinent dogs.

NEVER use a crate as punishment!

Dogs love dens, crates, undeneath tables whatever. It's their instincts coming out, as a wild dog will chose a warm, dry and easily protected cave etc.

Jacs, that is a very helpful post, i am particularly in favour of putting visitors in the crate! laugh
Back to top Go down
Sonanimalcrazy
LBDR True friend
LBDR True friend
Sonanimalcrazy

Job/hobbies : Animals..hum Animals Ohh and Animals

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 3:16 pm

[quote="Mellonz"]
Quote :

The only problem in my house is Romulus crawls under the coffee table and when he stands up he looks like a tortoise ...as the table in on his back.... laughing rofl rofl laughing laugh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yogi - Mastiff   Yogi - Mastiff - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Yogi - Mastiff
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next